In an act that’ll send thousands of fledgling comics to the front rows of their favorite stand-up’s shows, last weekend Dave Chappelle tapped a young audience member and stand-up of six months to be his opening act at the Pittsburgh Improv. Clyde Toledano was found by Chappelle while he was conversing with the audience. Toledano asked Chappelle to sign his joke notebook, which brought cheers from the audience to read it. Chappelle didn’t want to embarass Toledano as he had once been, but was inspired to have Toledano open for him right there.
It all sounds too good to be true, as some on aspecialthing have mentioned. But with Toledano’s blog offering copious evidence and online new sources corroborating, it’s pretty obvious that Chappelle’s not only funny, but incredibly nice. Toledano entitled one of his blog entries featuring a photo of him and Chappelle, “ Life Begins To Suck From Here.” With a chance like this, let’s hope not.
Hmm… maybe Chappelle could pick someone to do a third season of his show this way. Aspiring comics, if you want to open for Chappelle, try these dates:
- 9/23 - Davis, CA @ UC Davis
- 9/24 - Fresno, CA @ Save Mart Center
- 9/30 - Ypsilanti, MI @ Eastern Michigan University
- 10/1 - Lexington, KY @ Rupp Arena
- 11/12 - San Antonio, TX @ Municipal Auditorium
- 11/13 - Austin, TX @ Frank Erwin Center
- 11/14-16 - Denver, CO @ Comedy Works
- 11/17 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Jon M Huntsman Center
- 11/18 - Reno, NV @ Silver Legacy Casino
- 11/19 - Las Vegas, NV @ Caesars
- 11/20 - Tucson, AZ @ Anselmo Amphitheater